Saturday, August 13, 2016

I can see the difference it makes

Moses is making progress on his home
Most people in world are poor. Also the majority of Christians are poor. We live the fallen world and as a result we will always have poor people. This is such a big problem no government or person can remove poverty from the planet. Today there is a common outcry about our founding fathers either compromising or benefiting from slavery. But did you know that slavery is a big problem today. Slavery was always wrong. In the first century church 60% of the population were slaves. A large number in the church were slaves. We can learn from history but we need to be aware of real problems today. There are millions of slaves today.
One of the consistent sarcasm's against the church today is that the church is filled with so many dysfunctional, uneducated, lower class people. The church is often a haven for the mentally ill. If we look pass some of these modern labels the common thread is that the church is made up of a lot of poor people. People in poverty and they are always easy targets.
I have many happy memories of sitting in poor villages talking to very poor people. Many of these people only had the
He is building his home
during the raining season
clothes on their back. We shared stories back-and-forth. A poor village wouldn't give me the honor of a bottle of coca-Cola. The cost of that drink would be a day’s wage. I learned so much about the Liberian culture. 
Things are improving in Liberia. Most people in Liberia make $150 in a month or less. The best way to live in Liberia would be to have a job and the ability to continue some level of traditional farming. The poorest people in Liberia are unable to continue some level of traditional life, packed into the city's ghettos there are a lot of desperate people. 
There is no amount of human resource they can meet the need around the world, or even in the United States. We will always have a problem of human poverty. 
This is my opinion that this should humble us. If we look at it closer it can even overwhelm us. Our level of ability to inflict pain and oppression on one another goes above my comprehension. 
Bible conferences are reaching many w the Good News
As a Christian I can't ignore the poor. Helping the orphan and the poor is basic to a biblical religion. All humans suffer from spiritual poverty which is why I share the gospel. There are strong appeals from God to care for the poor in the Old and New Testament. Our response should be personal and addressing some need that we are aware of. It is not first a call out to others, first personal response. 

That response certainly made involve cooperation with other people doing a specific situation. In my case, it is being aware of people in my life who are in poverty. I am blessed to help those I know in Liberia. I certainly have my limitations, but it's good to know I can make a difference. Seeing these few take advantage to improve their education, to improve their shelter and home. To improve their care and education of their loved ones. To see them share the gospel and encourage others in their church. What ever I can encourage for the people of Liberia in regard to online education or clinics I know there's a few poor people who God connected me with to bless them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment