Sunday, November 20, 2016

The passing of one of my former students, Augustus Potter.

I found out today one of my former students passed away. His name is Augustus Potter age 50 years old. He died from complications of diabetes. As a young student he was smart had a lively personality. He was part of a family with the father had 16 wives. The head wife was a Christian and insisted that all the wives children get an education including the girls. One of her sons became a doctor and another was a teacher. This was back in 1977. I was impressed that a country woman had such ambitions. Augustus was one of my older students and I thought he too would be successful. He remained a friendly guy and will be missed.
Diabetes is one of the three most deadly diseases we face. Liberia nutrition is based starches  on rice and cassava. Greens and herbs and spices are in the diet but little protein. Having war for over 20 years takes it toll on health. I am not sure if he had type 1 or 2 diabetes. Care in his life would have to had many difficulties. 

Can I get healthy and fit enough to visit Liberia? I would like to see how the internet could help with health and education improvements. Could people with skill be linked with people in need. It is on my bucket list. Keep walking

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The late Augustus was the older brother to my wife. I met him in 1995 while my wife and I started our courtship. I knew their father had many children from different mothers but not 16 wives as you stated. I am not sure where you got your information from.

    ReplyDelete