Thursday, July 2, 2015

Lots of needs

Can you imagine working in 95 degree heat?
Since I reconnected to Liberia I've been thinking about how to help things. Much of the money an effort to help with the a ebola crisis, buildings and projects are now empty and returning back to the jungle. Ebola has gone into recession and the doctors and soldiers who went to Liberia did a good thing. 
Liberia will have more crisisis. I am convinced that the leadership there understands the need to rebuild the country after so many years of war and disease. It is an uphill battle.
Liberia needs an educational infrastructure to bring the people into in the modern world so that they have the doctors, politicians, military expertise and law-enforcement, businessman who can run the business of Liberia, teachers, medical professionals, engineers and tradesmen, Computer technology, agricultural development of natural resources so that they can take care of their own interests and improve their quality of life.
There are real problems that you may miss if you visit there. I fear many things me repeat themselves in a violent cycle. Yet I have to believe there is hope.
This is a tall order and somewhat of a utopia but if Liberia does not rebuild educationally, crisisis will continued to be handled from the outside and not necessarily for the interests of Liberian people. Secondhand hand-me-downs will never really meet the need. 
Personally, I want to learn to become an advocate for Liberia. Secondly, I desire to visit the country again. I don't know if I can personally devote time there or not. But I can help my ex-students live a little better and help them as they help others. Third there are both immediate needs that have to be addressed. And fourth, I've been thinking about an idea that may have a long-term effect.
As a missionary the training and relief effort, I need to be specific and help who I can. This kind work is at the gut level. It is the kindest thing that has a clinic and helps a child who is suffering from malaria. That child may really be encouraged by the help of care. At my age I may be able to train someone to be a caregiver. But I won't be the one who will train a child in first grade and see them in their adult life. At my age I also know how difficult it is to live in a tropical rainforest.
There is a certain amount of physical fitness that I need to obtain and a healthy weight. I also think I need to spend more time in a location like Buchanan rather than the bush. The mission where I served may be able to be reservice. Then again it may not. I may not be able to go overseas, But I might be able to do things here. Keep walking

No comments:

Post a Comment