Friday, July 10, 2015

Online education and care can multiply our efforts. What do you think?

Great idea that many are benefiting
We think of my online classes we first imagined College and graduate courses that we can purchase online. There are free courses and usually to get credit and for support there is a cost involved.
Here is a class I am taking at Dallas theological seminary for free. I am reading the material that goes with the class and taking notes. There's nothing there that I am studying where if I was taking a class for credit I would be able to get a good grade. (The teacher may disagree?)
Being in education the last 15 years I have seen many online presentations managed by a teacher for the benefit of the students. Online courses should be made available for accelerated students after school to give them confidence that they are competing with the brightest of our young people. Many high school students need this stimulation. The same thing could help any student who wants to learn.
Here is a class the old man is taking from
Dallas Semanary
In Liberia, schools are out of reach for many of the students. There are two few of the students who make it to high school in fewer still who are able to go to college. I believe our online education could help build more students in elementary thru high school. Online education good help train tradespeople, lifestyle in health Learning in a tropical jungle setting. Online education could help communities get better water, fight malaria and other health issues. Online education could be used to help Liberians manage their family farms, start their own businesses, learn new job skills. They can also learn what they can do to help facilitate classrooms in their villages. Interested adults good help bridge to gap between the educator online and the students in the classroom. 
This is important, we did this years ago
In Africa particularly Liberia, village life is pro school. Classrooms could be developed in cooperation with Liberian educators to develop K through College programs.
If I go over and start a school I may see the school grow to 100 students. If I was able to stay healthy till 83 then maybe I would see my youngest students make it to College. The impact of the school would be bigger than 100 kids.
But the truth is I may not be fit enough to to live in the tropics anymore. It is also very true that there's no guarantees that I am going to live to 83. I like the direct involvement. Though it's small scale it would be a worthwhile experience. We need to get our young people excited about this.
The same way would be the benefit of establishing a clinic. There would be no time at all in new would have hundreds of people seeing you everyday. What if there could be a clinic connected with a healthcare professional, Dr. a nurses practitioner, who could look at the patient and examine the patient on-line. Even if you had no lab you would be able to start many interventions that could save lives. When we were in Africa back in 1977, lab work and radiology were not options. We were trained by Drs. there to see what they see and we were able to help hundreds of people. Some symptoms could be several things. They would come back and we would try that next possible idea. Most were help this way.
Keep in mind most children do not
have doctors. Online clinics may be
very practical.
What if doctors could join in this discussion of online medicine? If they were working with it how can they improve it? 
I know I have a good idea here. But there are problems. But good smart people can take this good idea and make it work. Will it need to human touch? Can we train people to be good monitors and lab technicians? 
Online education is bigger than me in what I could do personally. You may be saying no way, but no way continues the educational disaster in Liberia and maybe in our inner cities. Feel free to weigh in on this. I can post your thoughts or not as you wish. Keep walking.

Ps. Help me get the word out, repost and share

No comments:

Post a Comment