Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Moses working a cassava farm

 Two staples in the Liberian diet are rice and cassava. The Liberian farmer grows a crop then allows the jungle back to replenish the soil. Here my friend Moses and grandson tend to a crop of cassava.
When I lived in Liberia my meals were rice based. I liked palm butter a sauce made from red palm nuts. I never developed a taste for cassava. I did eat it unfermented and it tasted like dumplings. I doubt many people eat chicken and dumplings anymore. It is poor people food.
If you have had tapioca pudding you have eaten cassava. It is a root that looks a little like a potato.
It is the rainy season so working in 90 degree raining heat is hard work. Moses is a mechanic who also farms. He works hard for his family. The Lord has blessed him and has brought him through trials that would have done me in.
I can't wait to see his progress on his home. Moses is helping many of his family as well. Take a look at Ps. 1. What are the benefits of a godly life?
There is work everyday and maybe we don't always see how God is working, but keep watching.
When Moses, Daniel, and Alfred Joe were 10-12 years old I knew their hearts. We worked and played together. I just happened to be their teacher, but that was in the morning. For the next 5-7 hours they collected my water in the dry season, helped interpret, were my guides in the jungle, helped watch Becki then 4 and at 4 pm. other boys would return to play soccer. I played right in the middle of them. Like my son I played goalie. I hated to lose so sometimes I played in the field. I hate to admit it now but that it the truth of it. Win or lose it was always great fun.
Can you know what a man will be when you know him as a youth? I think so
Keep walking

No comments:

Post a Comment