Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Liberia is more to me than memories

Moses Tarr giving me a shave in 1977
I first became aware of Liberia back in the spring 1976. I was newly married and Barb had an inner ear infection and was hospitalized for nine days in St. Joe’s. I heard of an opportunity to serve as a short term missionary in a place called Liberia, West Africa. As I looked into it I thought it was something that we can do. I also thought that my wife would think call things too risky and say no. 
Moses Tarr last year
Using skills to build and lead a church
I felt pretty safe so I went to see Barbara after work. At the time I was working at St. Joe's hospital. I took the elevator up to the eighth or ninth floor where she was at and shared with her the opportunity to served as  a missionary. To my surprise she was interested and said yes that we should pray about it. Now I really had a problem, was this something we should do?
Samuel Saturday pastors
Quickly many things fell into place. Our visa which would normally take years to process was approved right away by no less than the vice president of Liberia. Louis Orta had given the vice president hospitality on one of the trips the vice president took in the interior. It was often customary for a politician to get a drink of water from a mission because water was safer. It had nothing to do with politics. They ran into each other on the streets of Monroevia and Louis ask the vice president to okay our visa. And we were set to go to Liberia for a one-year service. 
While I was preparing to go I did all I could to learn about Liberia. 

Barbara and Elaine were RNs and they would establish a clinic to serve in the area about the size the Will County. At that time we were in the bush or the jungle. I would take up to the leadership in the school and church. The mission property at the time was 300 acres. We had a football field, a school and church. We had a building that looked like a garage that was service as the clinic. Our home
Daniel Tarr we have just
last week connected
was a three bedroom mud and stick zink roof, Windows with screens and shutters. We had an out house and shower. We would build I thatch roof waiting room.
Alfred Joe still hoping to connect with
At the core of my interest in Liberia today is to help the boys who are now men ease their burdens and support them in their ministries. I am so glad these nearly 40 years later to find these follows walking with the Lord. 
They each are doing more than I did and more effectively. All of them had work to educate their children and now grandchildren. If I do nothing more than help them I am blessed.
I am praying that I improve my health and conditioning to once again return to Liberia to see for myself the obstacles in using the Internet for education and medical evaluation. I also want to see old friends and encourage what they're doing. I may never get healthy enough to do this, but I'm praying about it.

Did I make a difference in that year? It seems I did, but I'm not done yet. Keep walking

No comments:

Post a Comment